[chuck-users] I must be missing something

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+chuck at mega-nerd.com
Tue Apr 4 03:49:36 EDT 2006

Eric Gilbert wrote:

> I am running on Intel Mac. I should follow the instructions from
> earlier to compile my own libsndfile.

Thats good advice.

> Now that you mention it, it
> could easily be endian issues since the binary is PPC but it is
> running on an Intel system.

If its a PPC binary, it *will not run* on an intel system.

The latest OSX compilers however are able to compile a dual architecture
binary; a binary which contains code for both intel and pcc cpus. However,
for libsndfile at least, this is a bad idea. libsndfile has lots of
architecture and OS secific tweaks which will not be correctly detected
for one or the other of the two dual architectures.

Remember, Erik says, "Always do native compiles and always run make check
to make sure libsndfile is working correctly".

Erik (yes, that Erik, the main author of libsndfile)