[chuck-users] wishlist for the new year

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Mon Jan 11 06:26:47 EST 2010

On 11 Jan 2010, at 11:21, Stefan Blixt wrote:

> I think I'm going to add trying to understand the major benefits of
> dynamic typing and closures/lambda to my wishlist for the new year
> (I feel old every time I read stuff like this... I just see hard-to-
> read and hence unmanagable code as being the result). Mike or
> anyone, do you have any pointers to good articles explaining this?

The best way, next to writing your own language, is probably to to try
out writing some code.

I use Hugs <http://haskell.org/hugs/>, which is a very good HAskell
interpreter - so it is similar to ChucK in that way. One can write
code interactively against a module. So this would be like a chuck
interactive mode. The module must be in a file though.

There are tutorials, the main one I would recommend is
   http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/
but there are others:
   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Tutorials

There is a package for doing MIDI
   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskore

An alternative might be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCaml, an
objective derivation of ML/SML. Don't know much about it

These are statically typed languages. Here is a list of dynamically
typed languages:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_typing#Dynamic_typing
I think that GNU Guile has a dynamic OO package, if you like LIPS
syntax:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Guile

   Hans