[chuck-users] chugin tutorial or docs?

Steve Morris steve at judgement.com
Mon Dec 23 20:20:25 EST 2013

Hi Joel,

I'm not much help on knowing how to implement this in Chuck but I am
curious what kind of pitch extraction algorithm you intend to use. I've
reviewed quite a few but never found one I really liked. It is a tricky
problem (What is the difference between a chord and an note from an
instrument with harmonics? Theoretically not much.) but based on the number
of commercial packages that claim to be doing score extraction I assume
there has been some progress since the last time I checked.

-Steve (aka zencuke)

PS. I've looked but I've found very little public documentation for any
kind of ChucK extension capabilities whether at the C++ level or ChucK
(ChuGin etc.) level. Most of the support focus (documentation etc) seems to
be on naive users and/or beginners. That's good but it sort of leaves users
trying to do sophisticated things out in the cold. ChucK seems more
targeted as a classroom teaching vehicle than as a serious music tool.
There doesn't seem to be much interest in developing and supporting a
serious ChucK user community. I'm learning that there are quite a few
serious users but they mostly seem to work in isolation. I like ChucK but
I'm thinking of switching to SuperCollider for serious work and only using
ChucK for quick simple experiments. The SuperCollider community seems to
encourage serious users. At least the advanced interfaces are documented.