[chuck-users] Chunity - RunCode() vs RunFile() affecting the stereo image

Jack Atherton lja at ccrma.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 26 12:14:29 EST 2018

Hi Luis,

Are you sure the issue is between RunFile and RunCode? I would expect those
two to behave the same way (but it's possible there is indeed a bug
somewhere). That said, if you're calling one on a ChuckMainInstance vs a
ChuckSubInstance, they would behave differently. The way that
ChuckSubInstances are implemented, they have a mono Gain that secretly acts
as a stand-in for their dac, so that their audio can be spatialized
differently from other ChuckSubInstances. Running a ChucK script on a
ChuckMainInstance should work as normally. Machine.add() would bypass the
dac-replacement and also run normally.

If you want to use panning rather than Unity's spatialization, it might
make sense for those scripts to be going to the ChuckMainInstance anyway.
Do you have a use case where you want to use ChucK panning on a
ChuckSubInstance?

Best,
Jack