[chuck] Bus Error - Trying to run ChucK for the first time

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Mar 13 04:01:26 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 17:29 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-23-01 at 11:39 -0500, Ge Wang wrote:
> > Dave Robillard,
> > from the Linux Audio Developer List, was good enough to look through our
> > Jack code for ways to improvements and have found some.  We hope to
> > integrate the changes soon.  What do you think Dave?
>
> (Back from the dead!)

(And replying to myself)

> I have time to look at this now, but it would make the task much easier
> if someone can just tell me a few things so I don't have to wade through
> so much code to figure out how everything works (frankly, that RTAudio
> stuff isn't the most pleasant code in the world to deal with):

Scratch most of the other questions, I've looked at some of the code and
realized some things.  Mainly that RTaudio isn't the problem, ChucK
itself is doing some /incredibly/ evil things in the audio callback.
(looping and checking a "finished processing" flag, and _sleeping_ for a
while if it's not?!!).  Running a race between the audio callback and
some other thread like this just can't happen, it will need to be
changed for any sort of decent realtime performance.

This is the one I need to know:

> - Where in ChucK is all the DSP dirty work done?  (ie what is the
> "master" DSP processing function)

I think this is going to be a lot more work than I thought at first :(

-DR-