[chuck-dev] bugs + features

Matthew Shanley mshanley at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Aug 2 20:23:32 EDT 2004

Your code worked just fine, and with further playing around I figured
out how to get mine to work. I seems like if a sinosc ugen isn't
connected to dac, it doesn't get calculated. Probably you already knew
that. It seems to be a problem though if you are using an oscillator
only as input to the freq or gain of another oscillator. This is all
under chuck-1.1.3 under linux-alsa. I haven't had a chance to compile
the newest version yet, I hope that doesn't matter. Here's the example
code I've been running that should have a vibrato, but just comes out as
a straight cos wave:

// Create a simple tone oscillator
// and add vibrato to it.

440.0 => float carFreq;
4.0 => float modFreq;
1.0 => float amp;
80.0 => float vibWidth;
sinosc sc => dac;
amp => sc.gain;
sinosc sm;
modFreq => sm.freq;

while (true) {
~  sm.last + carFreq => sc.sfreq;
~  sm.last => stdout;
~  //carFreq => stdout;
~  //sc.sfreq => stdout;
~  //sc.last => stdout;
~  //1::samp => now;
~  std.rand2(100,1000)::samp => now;
}

Ge Wang wrote:
| Hi Matt!
|
| I added you on sourceforge.
|
| Can you post the code that it is failing on?  Also, what platform
| are you running on?
|
| On OS X, i tried this instance of using last, which seems to work,
| does it work for you?
| ---
|
| sinosc osc => dac;
| 220.0 => osc.freq;
|
| while( true )
| {
|     osc.last => stdout;
|     std.rand2(100,1000)::samp => now;
| }
|
| ---
|
| Best,
| Ge!
|

| On Aug 1, 2004, at 9:24 PM, Matthew Shanley wrote:
|
| Hi Ge,
|
| I wouldn't mind being added as a dev. My sourceforge id is arkadyan.
|
| Also on a different note, is it true that the "last" parameter of ugens
| isn't implemented yet? It was sinosc specifically that I was testing
| with and just getting solid zeros. This seems to me like the way you'd
| connect output from ugens into the input of other ugens and so it'd be
| really important for many synthesis techniques.
|

| Thanks!
| matt
|

| Ge Wang wrote:
| |
| | For now, we are using SourceForge for our bug and feature tracking.
| | Our web/dev/CVS will remain at cs.princeton.edu.
| |
| | To add bug / feature idea
| |
| |     http://chuck.sf.net/
| |
| | you will need to be an SF member (sign up at their main page).
| | also, send me your SF id and we will add you as a dev.
| | (if you don't want to do SourceForge, post/send the bugs
| | and someone can add it if necessary)  Also feel free to continue
| | posting bugs/ideas here.
| |
| | If you have questions, please let us know!  Thank you!
| |
| | Best,
| | Ge!
| |