[chuck-dev] Anonymous CVS?

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Dec 10 04:55:49 EST 2004

From: Ge Wang <gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: [chuck-dev] Anonymous CVS?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 00:58:18 -0500

Ge,

> > I have been working on the chuck/src directory where as I have noticed
> > that
> > there is a chuck/v2 directory as well.
>
> the v2 is the rewrite, and is currently rather uncompilable.

I'll see what I can do about it.

> > Hans tossed together a none-audio driver which seems to work.
>
> cool.  does this behave the same as --silent, but is independent of the
> audio system at compile-time?

Exactly. If you are going to run chuck on boxes with no real-time audio
capablity or with unsupported audio, then you need this, or you will not be
able to compile as it looks right now. The none audio driver solves this.

In one of our imagined applications we use small formfactor cards to do
sequencing, MIDI-interfacing etc. and using Ethernet/IP to interface to the
other boxes. Having no need for the audio in the current system requires it for
no real use.

> > I am considering applying more automagic to the autoconf stuff as
> > things
> > progresses. Currently we do stuff with --with-audio=alsa etc. but I
> > want to
> > remove the need for it so it just discovers what is there, but with
> > the manual
> > force still in place if you wish for it.
>
> it seems having manual force optional is always good idea... how does
> everyone feel about this?

Actually, as long as the automagic solves 99% of the problems and there is
easy ways to override the automagic on key parameters (which is easy), then you
will have it. The automagic is tossed in for it to become more of
straight-from-the-box kind of deal. A "./configure; make install" should be
all that people have to worry about normally, with the possible addition of a
--prefix as usual.

> > To clarify on the Windows comment. A tired mind (mine that is) was
> > unable to
> > have the ./configure script to get pass the GCC tests in MSYS/MINGW.
> > It fails
> > to compile the simple test-program. A less tired mind may solve this.
> > I rarely
> > find a need to use the MSYS/MINGW environment so that could be a
> > reason, but
> > autoconf/configure should work in there.
>
> Thank you very much for all you guys are doing!

Well, we are using chuck, see the oppertunity to fix things and hack away, as
we are doing by habit anyway!

Cheers,
Magnus