[chuck-dev] towards matching client / server messages in chuck

chris turner c.turner at 199records.com
Wed Dec 22 09:03:37 EST 2004

Ge,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the delay in the reply.

I've been working on completing the 'alpha' prototype of my system
(so I knew I wouldn't have time to plan on coding chuck patches)

However, this is nearing completion, so I'll probably be able to devote
more
effort to patching support for similar client/server messages.

I'm thinking the plan might go like this (pending your approval, other
plans, etc):
- creating a central message table or message printing class/function
- modifying the existing server-side messages to use this table
- sorting out the request/response protocol to support message return
codes
- implementing client-side printouts based on the protocol + table

as for the immediate mode / 'bug' :
It looks like the 'bug' I was talking about was possibly related to the
script I was
using. I'll come up with an example to post / work on debugging my
scripts

don't remember the exact method calls, but there was a
'submit-immediate' and 'submit-for-later' call to the chuck vm class.

I'm wondering if there would be any negative impact on the networking
if there was a
'submit-eventually' that would block until an ID was properly returned
back to the
caller.. If this could work it might be the approach to take for the
problem I was
addressing (getting a shred ID on any submission.) in kludging around
it.

I'll probably just do some tests with this to see..

Assuming we're able to create a plan to get the changes into
chuck-proper, would
you prefer I work against the stable release or the development copy?

(assuming the latter)

Thanks again for the great software. I look forward to working on this
project in
the future.

- Chris