[chuck-dev] Developing chuck - from chuck@

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sun Oct 17 15:01:29 EDT 2004

Let's figure out how to approach these issues.  anyone else have cycles
to contribute on these?

Best,
Ge!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:21:17 -0400
From: Scott Robert Ladd <coyote at coyotegulch.com>
    <chuck at lists.cs.princeton.edu>
Subject: [chuck] Developing chuck

Hello,

I'm playing with chuck 1.1.5.2 on Linux-based Pentium 4 and dual-Opteron
systems. First of all, chuck is fascinating and entertaining.

Please accept the following comments as an offer of assistance for
improving chuck:

1) The current build system is very simple, but also very
non-traditional and inflexible for a Unix environment. An autoconf build
might be more effective, along the lines of

	../configure --sound=alsa --prefix=/usr/local/bin
	make
	make install

2) Chuck is sometimes balky (e.g., it can't find the sound card) on my
Pentium 4, but it works fine most of the time. On my AMD64, I get the
same segmentation fault mentioned by Mark Constable.

3) During a build with -Wall -pedantic, I see quite a few warnings,
ranging from portability problems to casting problems.

Are any of these issues something you are interested in having someone
such as myself take a look at?

If so, what is the best procedure for providing patches to chuck?

Is the developer's mailing list working? I haven't seen any messages
therein.

--
Scott Robert Ladd
site: http://www.coyotegulch.com