[chuck-dev] chuck on amd64

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Sep 13 22:35:16 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 05:04, Ge Wang wrote:
> As Mark noted, chuck compiles but crashes on amd64 running
> gentoo/ALSA.  Mark and I have already looked into this and have
> come up with the following so far:

I "suspect" the problem is ChucKs interface to ALSA.

> Most likely, this is due to data type width disparity for the 64-bit
> system, for example, here are the type width on amd64/gcc on
> Mark's machine:

instead of 4 otherwise the same.

> 1) Anyone else here have experience/access to amd64/linux
> 2) Mark, is there anyway I can ssh into your machine and test there?

Sure, just pop me an email offlist and I'll reply with id/pw.

> 3) We should look into gcc on amd64 to see there is a 32-bit
> compatibility flag - that would solve a lot of things.

But not the core problem.

> 4) Any other thoughts/ideas?

Misc suggestion; the ability to write out a wav file would be very
handy. This would also provide the ability to completely separate
the core code from any platforms audio sub-systems so the "output"
only goes to the much simpler file system interface.

--markc