[chuck-dev] Block execution of ugens?

Robin Davies robin.davies at quest.com
Tue Sep 6 16:21:08 EDT 2005

>      1) detect/mark cycles in the ugen graph when changing connections
>      2) when computing samples, nodes in cycles still compute
>         sample at a time, while the rest can compute in blocks.
>      3) furthermore, non-cyclic nodes need to be partitioned
>         and sorted.  subgraphs that a cycle depend on must compute
>         the block before the first sample of that cycle computes.
>      4) We may be able to further optimize if delay-lines are involved
>         in the cycle.

<thinking hat off for a sec...> Interesting problem. I thought it was
trivial until I realized that there may be multiple loops with multiple
minimum block sizes. However, it may be trivially doable after a little
non-trivial thinking.

I was going to ask whether circular chucks was a feature you were
particularly attached to, when I saw somebody posting about the fun they
were having with delays and echos. And then, in a blinding flash of
insight, I understood why the Stk Echo doesn't have a feeback property.
(echo echo echo echo).

<... thinking hat back on>

- Robin Davies.