[chuck-dev] audicle-1.0.0.3 linux audio broken (jack & alsa)

schwaahed schwaahed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 17:31:40 EDT 2006

Doh,

was trying to run audicle and chuck from the root account. This
is set up not to work on my system so I'm not tempted to be a
bad boy. Everything works fine when I run from a proper account.

so for any that are interested audicle works on my machine:

version:
    |=> audicle: 1.0.0.3 (quintesson)
    |=>   chuck: 1.2.0.6 (dracula)
   exe target: linux (jack)
   http://audicle.cs.princeton.edu/

Gentoo Linux:

Linux schwaabook 2.6.17-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 14 18:05:03
EDT 2006 i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2600  @ 2.16GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

jack cvs from proaudio overlay

On 8/16/06, Ge Wang <gewang at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > audicle --silent
>
> You shouldn't need to use this flag (which under the audicle is
> probably not a good idea).  which audio API did you compile for?
> alsa? jack? or oss?
>
> > freeglut (audicle): Unable to create direct context rendering for
> > window 'audicle'
> > This may hurt performance.
>
> looks like you don't have direct rendering enabled for your system, which
> would probably result in much software rendering of the OpenGL graphics.
> It won't help the audio issue, but it would very likely free up much cpu
> for audio and give you much better framerates.

I was hoping that the newer X.org server would support nvidia drivers
by the time
audicle was ported to linux. I have to check whether this is possible
on Gentoo. If
it isn't I will have to down grade my Xserver inorder to get the
support for direct rendering.
The audicle is the only program that was going to compel me to
downgrade. I think that
it was a matter of nvidia upgrading the drivers. Any way...

Really nice work.!Thanks for inviting us to the dress up part of the show.

schwaahed