[chuck-dev] chuck & miniAudicle

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat Jul 29 11:35:28 EDT 2006

This is something that I think definitely makes sense, especially for
Linux users.  It would be very convenient to be able to swap in
chuck.so.1.2.0.6 or whichever at will.  One big problem would be
ensuring binary compatibility of the chuck code that miniAudicle
calls across different versions; since chuck isnt actually a library,
binary compatibility across different versions isnt really a goal.
For example, the function to initialize the virtual machine recently
had to be changed to fully support more than 2 channel audio.  This
raises a few complicated and potentially far-reaching design issues
when miniAudicle wants to support either version, or any arbitrary
version.

These problems arent insurmountable, and supporting chuck as a
separate shared library is a goal of the miniAudicle project.  But
there are a few other questions to figure out before that can
successfully happen.

thanks
spencer