[chuck-dev] Stereo ugens (again)

Gary Scavone gary at music.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 21 20:40:58 EST 2007

Hi Imre,

I'm not sure the solution you propose can easily be implemented for
all UGs.  For a Noise UG, it is relatively easy to make it work for
an arbitrary number of channels.  However, a SineWave UG is
inherently "one channel".  Of course, you could hack something
together but you would need to add a bunch of functionality to set
the parameters for different channels, when in fact it would be much
clearer (programatically) to have multiple instances of this one-
channel class.  Perhaps ChucK can add functionality to easily combine
the outputs of multiple one-channel objects into a multi-channel
structure (or maybe this already exists)?

Also, for the Effects classes, it gets even more problematic.  If you
want to make a Reverb work for multiple channels, does that mean it
should take a single input and create multiple outputs or should it
run multiple versions of the same reverb to create multiple outputs.
The number of inputs and outputs to the Effects classes are typically
fixed when it they are designed and it would be hard to make them
work for arbitrary inputs/outputs.  I suppose that a Reverb could
average a multi-channel input sample frame and create as many
decorrelation delay lines as needed for the specified number of
outputs, but again, these are things that would have to be determined
for each Effect.  For the PitShift class, it is unclear how mulit-
input/output might be implemented.

Regards,

--gary