[chuck-dev] Asio Build and "Debug Assertion Failed" Error.

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:38:13 EDT 2007

On 6/23/07, Ge Wang <gewang at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:

> Next we should also figure out how to best roll this into the distro.
> Should we include two exe's?  Another eventual option is to finally upgrade
> to the newest RtAudio, which has runtime support for multiple API's - this
> will happen sooner or later we think, and we hope to work with Gary Scavone
> to make transition smoothly.  What to do in the meantime?

 I looked over the RTAudio notes on multiple API's in anticipation of the
arival of the .exe and that definately seems like the way to go in the
future. I'd say that would also be the way to go for Linux.

If you want only one of the two I think ASIO is the obvious choice because
there is ASIO4ALL to turn a WM style soundcard into a ASIO suporting one but
the other way around doesn't exist (And would be similar to trying to sell a
kit that can turn a Ferari into a Trabant). On that topic I think it's very
good news that this works with ASIO4ALL according to Consul.

This Windows Media style of audio drivers is realy, realy, terribly slow
which I can't stress enough is very bad for realtime (musical) performance.
The one thing that's good about it -to me- is that it made me think a lot
about creative input quantisation. I realise Princeton is basically all
Mac's. If you're used to a Mac I think it might be hard to imagine how
attrociously bad and slow Windows Media drivers are.

Maybe two exe's would be best. The files should be very similar which
hopefully the zip compression will pick up on?

Also, in the interest of getting lots of feedback on this I still think this
should go to the main users list as well but I think that's for Philippe or
you to post. It'd be good to know about incompatibilities, issues or
potential fire-hazards before this goes into the main distribution.