[chuck-dev] initial patch for 64-bit

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 12:03:54 EDT 2008

2008/8/29 Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1 at gmail.com>

> But I'm currently a bit confused whether the ChucK devs actually read
> and use this list, since there is obviously work being done on ChucK
> but I see no information about it, and no one responded to my patch.
> If not, I'm just wondering if there's a more appropriate place to
> discuss ChucK development or to at least submit patches.

I agree that more communication on this level would be preferable. Another
example is that we now have some Uanae (Flip and pilF and some more stuff)
that I have no idea at all about what they do, how or why, I'm not sure how
I could figure this out, short of diging in the source and reading up on
whatever phenomenon they deal with. The examples that use them turn a sine
into a the same sine so clearly they are relective but beyond that I don't
get it. I pointed this out on the main list yet did not yet get a reply.

Now, I realise that my friend Ge is a very busy man and may lack the time to
send as many mails as he'd like. He has ChucK to maintain, students to teach
to, workshops to give, a partner and who knows how much more. I have been
and still am very outspoken in my respect for him and his generosity in
sharing ChucK with us all.

Still, it's my suspicion that if more time would be spend on open
communication then that would make it easier to share the work (not just
coding but also documentation, finding bugs and documenting them, answering
questions, etc, etc, etc), thus decreasing the load on some individuals.
Right now I am contributing a bit but I could do more (and have fun doing
it) if we could improve comunication. I'd be happy to try my hand at fixing
Sitar, for example, but it's not at all clear to me how Sitar should deal
with very low notes (clearly not by outputting text warnings at sample-rate,
which is the current behaviour). I'd also be happy to help write the manual
but it's not at all clear to me in what form I should donate paragraphs or
small sections.

Perhaps this need not be said again but I'd like to stress that this is not
meant as critisism and should merely be seen as my attempt to help think
about how we could improve ChucK and ChucKist culture.

Yours,
Kas.