[chuck-dev] EaRing - dynamic assembler

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon Oct 6 23:37:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 11:33 -0400, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
> I just read about this because it was posted on reddit..
>
> http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/earing/
>
> It just made me wonder.. it actually sounds like it would make an
> interesting back-end for something like ChucK.  It assembles a sort of
> high-level assembler code, loads it into memory dynamically and
> compiles it to actual machine code to run at 100% CPU speed.
>
> Features (from the site):
>
>     *  You can swap the contents of functions or alter them as if they
> were data.
>     * You can plug in any memory management you need.
>     * It can open dynamic libraries and run the functions like they
> are another module.
>     * You can ship the code to other machines and they'll just run it.
>     * It's still fast because, after the first compile, it runs at CPU speed.
>
> Pretty interesting!  The thought of using an alternative VM for
> running ChucK code more efficiently is kind of interesting.. ChucK
> could compile down to this EaRing bytecode and then let its VM and
> "assembler" take care of the heavy lifting to make things run at top
> speed.
>

> Steve

I had a brief convo with Zed about this a few months back. He insists
it's alpha-level code and only has scattered time to hack on it. Then I
pointed him at Anton Ertl's gForth / vmgen works on writing efficient
interpreters / virtual machines. He was quite impressed with what some
of these ideas did for EaRing.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
ruby-perspectives.blogspot.com

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." --
Alfréd Rényi via Paul Erdős