[chuck-dev] GLucK and good Linux IDE

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Oct 28 06:26:09 EDT 2008

Jacob Lewellen wrote:
> Hi,
>      I'm a junior CS major at Princeton and for my Junior Independent
> work for this semester, I'm going to be try my hand at adding a
> graphical API to ChucK, which will be called GLucK.  The current plan
> is to create another thread for just graphics that will be controlled
> at the back end by GLUT functions.  At the moment I'm just trying to
> get a feel for the source code to figure out what and where I will
> have to change.  If anyone has any tips on what part of the code to
> start with, I'd be happy to hear them.

One thing that I started messing with a while back (and got the
communication working in one way, if I remember correctly, before losing
real interest in it...) was to add bindings to QObject from Qt such that
you could then send / receive ChucK events to QObject signals / slots.
This would mean that it would then be trivial to bind a ChucK program to
a UI generated by Qt Designer (drag-and-drop UI designer).

If you end up being interested in going down a route like that drop me a
line and I'll see if I can't find my old sources.  I can't put my hands
on them at the moment, but they're still probably lurking off somewhere
on one of my backups.

> The other question I have is if anyone knows of a good C++ IDE for
> Linux to use for developing ChucK.  If necessary I'll just use Emacs
> or something of that ilk, but if there's something good out there that
> has good autocompletion and that sort of thing, I'd prefer it.

Some people dig KDevelop, which being from the land-o-k tends to well
with C++.  I use Emacs.  ;-)

-Scott