[chuck-dev] Porting ChucK to OpenBSD

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:31:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will Maier;
>
>>  How much of this interface needs to actually be
>> implemented? I've been reading the code, and it seems that at least
>> some of it could simply remain unsupported while still making ChucK
>> at least somewhat usable.
>
> Strictly speaking I don't think you need it at all to have a usable ChucK;
> ChucK was fine before we had it.
>
> Personally I'm a big fan of the Joystick HID interface; I find game
> controllers to often be very expressive, inspirational in design and
> relatively affordable compared to commercial controllers meant for music...
> but you don't actually need any to ChucK.
>
> I wouldn't make porting ChucK dependant on a complete HID game device
> implementation. The one in ChucK is incomplete as well and doesn't (yet)
> support HID output (for things like leds, rumble and force-feedback).
>
> I hope that helps a bit.

Yes, I think for cases like this ChucK sorely needs a ./configure
portion to its build, but I don't know if that will happen.  I'd be
happy to write some autotools stuff for it, but I don't know if Ge
would go for it.  Anyways, autotools would be enough to detect that
HID is not supported by the platform and disable it in the build.  It
might be helpful.

Steve