[chuck-dev] Compiling under FreeBSD

Raimundo Santos raitech at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:39:23 EDT 2009

Hello all!

I prefer the FreeBSD 8.0RC1 audio drivers, which implements the UAA
(Universal Audio Architecture - yes, from Microsoft...) and then
things just works.

In linux, I have experienced problems with ALSA and the new OSSv4 do
not serve me well. And I get evolved in a project that uses chuck, and
tried to compile it under my brand new OS. I have tried with

make linux-oss

Many errors as I expected, some of I dismiss. A list of they and the solution:

- within the begining of makefile.oss:

ifneq ($(CHUCK_DEBUG),)
FLAGS+= -g -O0
endif

ifneq ($(CHUCK_STRICT),)
FLAGS+= -Wall
endif

Just commented out this lines.

- within files with #include "sndfile.h":

Non-system stuff normaly belongs to /usr/local in FreeBSD. So adding
to CFLAGS -I /usr/local/include must work. Just a dream, because in
fact I have to modify FLAGS to insert it.

-within files with #include <termio.h>:

This header do not exist in FreeBSD and, as Mac OS X have a root in
it, I have modified the linux-only includes and ioctl() to work under
FreeBSD, by copying the MAC way.

-whithin util_hid.cpp:

Wow! It is a good source of TODO work. Things here are suposed to be
very "low level", as I presumed. I am wondering if I am right. Am I?
By "low level" I mean very OS dependent. I am new into FreeBSD world,
and never programmed under linux over the OS by itself, I've used to
program over Qt, and programmed little things.

As the comment says in the begining of util_hid.cpp, this is the
interface with input/interaction devices. And it is different under
the many Oses that exists.

Removing util_hid.o from deps of chuck target in the makefile, all the
others compile ok.

And my question: how things are supposed to work in this source? How
can I learn it? How can I translate it to FreeBSD?

I thought abou creating a makefile.freebsd, but this questions must be
answered (even by myself) before.

Sorry, I am Brazilian and my English is not quite good yet ... =/ -
but I hope you understand me and could help me.

Many many many thanks, folks!

raitech