[chuck-dev] for loop, empty conditional statement, possible fix

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Oct 24 04:33:36 EDT 2009

Hi Szilveszter and Kassen!

Thanks for the discussion, and thanks to Szilveszter for the report and
the fix (it's right on)!  I've included the fix into the source, with a
minor tweak - I think for now, we are going to disallow empty for
conditions, and will require an explicit true.  For example:

for( ; ; )
{ /*...*/ }

now gets the follow compiler error:

[foo.ck]:line(1): empty for loop condition...
[foo.ck]:line(1): ...(note: explicitly use 'true' if it's the intent)
[foo.ck]:line(1): ...(e.g., 'for( ; true; ){ /*...*/ }')

This will still leave the possibility of for( ; ; ) to work in the
future, but it seems harder going the other way...

I hope this helps and thanks again for the fix!

All the best,
Ge!

~~~
Ge Wang
Assistant Professor
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~ge/
~
Co-founder, CTO, Chief Creative Officer