[chuck-dev] ChucK GitHub

Remi Gillig remigillig at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:50:54 EST 2012

Hello all,

It's not that I don't like SVN but there are cool alternatives for
open source projects now. So I put ChucK on GitHub, I dream that you
would adopt this for future commits. The biggest advantage is the
"fork + pull" mechanic where someone can fork a project, do some
fixes, modifications, additions etc. and you can pull his changes into
the original repository. I know changing SCM is a big change in a
project but I had to go the mailing list archives to find the SVN URL
and I would love to see more contributions to ChucK.

Also a big change in many projects, is the change for the build
system. For Windows, the platform I'm originally interested in, I saw
that there were Visual 6 projects which is quite outdated. For the
benefit of everyone, I made a preliminary CMake build file which can
right now build ChucK on Visual Studio 2010 for example. CMake is a
bit like make but can generate projects for a number of platforms.

So, to summarize, I imported the SVN repository (revision 93) into
GitHub at this address : https://github.com/speps/chuck
My changes are already there, some minor fixes so that it builds on
Windows (without HID, DirectInput support was outdated, without OTF
server too. I did not want to be asked about Windows firewall for
ChucK). These options should be CMake options if anyone is up for it.

Anyway, I hope to hear from the developers community about a possible
switch over to GitHub which would be great for ChucK (I had to go the
mailing lists to realize that the latest version from the home page
dates from around 2009).

Cheers,
Remi Gillig.