[chuck-dev] ChucKJS

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 20:36:31 EST 2013

Hi guys

I've begun work on a JavaScript (well, CoffeeScript) implementation of
ChucK, ChucKJS <https://github.com/aknuds1/chuckjs>, for which I'm seeking
feedback from ChucK developers in particular. Web Audio
API<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html>
is
used to produce sound. Very little of the language is implemented so far,
I've just today finished end-to-end support (including a VM) for playing
back a sine tone for a certain interval of time as in the following program:

    SinOsc sin => dac;
    2::second => now;

Even though this may seem minor, I'm pretty happy that this is at all
possible just from within the browser :) As explained in the project's
README, there is a self-contained example (examples/example1.html) which
demonstrates the aforementioned sine wave playback capability.

What do you guys think, are anyone else interested in being able to run
ChucK programs in the browser? Anyone interested in helping out on
ChucKJS<https://github.com/aknuds1/chuckjs> (like
ChucK it's GPL licensed)?

My motivation for writing ChucKJS is to develop an online development
environment for ChucK where one can execute the programs directly in the
browser, I figure this will lower the threshold and make the language more
fun to work with.

Merry Christmas,
Arve