[chuck-dev] ChucK meets unit testing

Mark Cerqueira mark.cerqueira at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:41:08 EDT 2014

Hi all,

In between some intense StarCrafting, Spencer and I set up ChucK to be
continuously integrated on Travis CI. This means every commit/change to
ChucK ensures ChucK compiles on Mac (10.9.2) and Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), as
well as running a bunch of unit tests on both platforms.

https://travis-ci.org/ccrma/chuck/builds

This was spurred by the recent 147th shred removal causing a segmentation
fault, given we could easily test (and even further stress test) ChucK
automatically. Tests are currently in the src/test folder of the ChucK repo
on GitHub, including tests like Michael Heuer's 147 spork (and one with
over 9000 shreds) removal code in the 04-Stress folder:

https://github.com/ccrma/chuck/tree/master/src/test

Want to contribute? Feel free to fork the ChucK repo, add tests, and send a
pull request. We're not quite sure how we want to organize the tests yet so
put them in whatever folder you want. Once your tests are pulled in,
they'll be run every time a new commit is pushed to ChucK.

We're hoping this will make ChucK more stable as well as decreasing the
chance for regressing bugs.

-Mark