[chuck-dev] Porting ChucK to JavaScript with Emscripten

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 22:10:48 EDT 2014

Hi guys

I've re-directed my focus from manually porting ChucK to JavaScript (i.e.,
ChucKJS) to an automatic port with the help of the Emscripten tool (
http://emscripten.org/): https://github.com/aknuds1/chuck/tree/emscripten.
I don't know yet how this'll pan out, but I'm thinking it should be more
future proof than having to maintain an independent JavaScript version of
ChucK. Also, it ought to be much more performant, since Emscripten
generates asm.js rather than vanilla JavaScript.

The status of the port is that I am currently able to generate a JavaScript
library, chuck.js, which can be invoked, but I need to write shims for
dependencies such as the audio driver to actually do anything useful.

Arve