[chuck-users] performance under linux

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Dec 16 22:31:31 EST 2005

Greetings Atte,

> I retested my midi setup stuff (http://www.atte.dk/midi.tgz) with the
> latest/greatest under linux, and there seems to be a quite large
> latency. About maybe 100ms at least way too large to be playable.
> However it seems that cpu usage is more relazed.
>
> Am I wrong in expecting improvements in the new release under linux,
> or am I missing something?

There should be improvements to MIDI under linux/alsa (thanks to
updated by Gary Scavone in RtMIDI).  The first thing to try (if you
haven't already) is to lower the real-time audio buffer size using the
--bufsize flag:

     > chuck --bufsize128 foo.ck

Try different powers of two to hopefully find a good balance between
latency and stability.  If that doesn't work out, then we will proceed
with more tests...

Best,
Ge!