[chuck-users] Stop Beeping at Me

Adam Tindale adamtindale at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 23:40:18 EST 2005

Hey All,

Computers beep by default when you make a mistake. This sucks in a
concert.

I have recently installed Mac10.4.  When I turn off the system volume
in the system preferences the terminal will still beep at me. Also
vim beeps at me. Here are a few things I did to stop the beeping.

Terminal:

In window settings in the Terminal menu there is now a tab for
emulation where the audible bell option lies. Unclick this little
monster to make your shell stop beeping.

Vim:

In your .vimrc file I had to put  set noerrorbells in order to stop
the beeping.

I know that this is different in Linux to get bash to stop. What
about windows? Emacs?

I am sure a lot of you will have figured most of this out but it
should help that we don't have to hear nasty system sounds at ChucK
shows in the future.

Cheers,

--art