[chuck-users] Midi problem

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Sat Nov 19 13:41:54 EST 2005

Hi,
  First of all: thanks for chuck.  I'm having a lot of fun with it.

  Followed by: Hello list.  I've just joined.

  And finally:   I may be doing something stupid, but I can't get
  chuck to connect to midi ports.

  I realised after a while that it had to connect to an existing port,
  and wouldn't make a port to connect to later, so I fired up vkeybd.

  aconnect -i shows:

  [snippet]
  client 128: 'Virtual Keyboard' [type=user]
    0 'Virtual Keyboard'
  [/snippet]

  And chuck --probe shows:

  [chuck]: found 1 device(s) ...
  [chuck]: ------( chuck -- dac1 )---------------
  [chuck]: device name = "Jack Server"
  [chuck]: probe [success] ...
  [chuck]: # output channels = 2
  [chuck]: # input channels  = 2
  [chuck]: # duplex Channels = 2
  [chuck]: default device = YES
  [chuck]: natively supported data formats:
  [chuck]:   32-bit float
  [chuck]: supported sample rates:
  [chuck]:   48000 Hz
  [chuck]:
  [chuck]: ------( chuck -- 6 MIDI inputs )------
  [chuck]:     [0] : "EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)"
  [chuck]:     [1] : "VirMIDI 1-0"
  [chuck]:     [2] : "VirMIDI 1-1"
  [chuck]:     [3] : "VirMIDI 1-2"
  [chuck]:     [4] : "VirMIDI 1-3"
  [chuck]:     [5] : "Virtual Keyboard"
  [chuck]:
  [chuck]: ------( chuck -- 9 MIDI outputs )-----
  [chuck]:     [0] : "EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)"
  [chuck]:     [1] : "Emu10k1 Port 0"
  [chuck]:     [2] : "Emu10k1 Port 1"
  [chuck]:     [3] : "Emu10k1 Port 2"
  [chuck]:     [4] : "Emu10k1 Port 3"
  [chuck]:     [5] : "VirMIDI 1-0"
  [chuck]:     [6] : "VirMIDI 1-1"
  [chuck]:     [7] : "VirMIDI 1-2"
  [chuck]:     [8] : "VirMIDI 1-3"
  [chuck]:

  My code is simply:

  Rhodey s => PRCRev r1 => dac;
  MidiIn min;
  if( !min.open( 5 ) ) me.exit();
  while(true){
    min=>now;
  }

  I know it's not very interesting, but it should at least work -
  shouldn't it?

  Anyway, running chuck miditest.ck gives:

  [chuck]: MidiIn: couldn't open MIDI port 5...
  [chuck]: ...(RtMidiIn::openPort: error starting MIDI input thread!)

  So, what am I doing wrong?  I'm assuming it's me, since I'm new to
  chuck.  I haven't quite got past the urge to write my assignments
  backwards (for chuck) yet.

  Any help would be appreciated.

James

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)