[chuck-users] pitching samples

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 19:41:55 EST 2005

Ollie Glaskovik wrote:

> I'd like to make a pitched sample playing function which, given a
> sample at a known pitch (say C-2) and a MIDI pitch value (0-127),  plays
> the sample at that pitch. I suppose this could be done with  sndbuf's
> .rate function and some math but I'm not sure where to  start.

Given you have the midi pitch in the variable "note", the following will
work. "transpose" is just a handy way of transposing the instrument,
"root" is the known pitch of the sample. Note also that mtof will work
with float, so you can have 12.01 => transpose, to transpose an octave +
a cent.

12 => transpose;
60 => root;

sndbuf s => dac;

std.mtof(note + transpose)/ std.mtof(root) => s.rate;

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk