[chuck-users] 1.2.0.3 compilation problem

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat Oct 22 07:55:18 EDT 2005

Hi Michael et al!

> First of all, I am glad to see that since 1.2.0.1 the linux version of
> chuck behaves so much nicer! (for me, anyways)

That is great to hear.  Switching to callback mechanism as default in
1.2.0.1 seems to greatly help real-time stability across the board.

> I jumped to the 1.2.0.3 now and can't get it to compile:
> make -f makefile.jack
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mis/downloads/chuck-1.2.0.3/src'
> gcc -D__LINUX_JACK__ -O3 -c -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__ chuck.yy.c
> chuck.lex: In function `block_comment':
> chuck.lex:280: error: `yytext_ptr' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> chuck.lex:280: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> chuck.lex:280: error: for each function it appears in.)
>
> 1.2.0.1 compiled fine, have the requirements changed since then?

The requirements haven't (intentionally) changed since 1.2.0.1.  These
compilations errors seem to be related to the new blocking commenting
function.  After a quick google search, it looks like the error may be
caused by inconsistent support of unput() macro in various portions of
the lex file under linux.  So let's try:

1. download and replace chuck.lex and rebuild:

     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/files/snapshot/

did the error go away?

2. if not, try upgrading flex on your system and rebuild

if neither of the above works, then we shall look for another solution.

Best,
Ge!