[chuck-users] chuck - python

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Wed Apr 12 10:14:04 EDT 2006

I believe the command that you are looking for is:

%> chuck ^

This prints the internal shred start at the listener VM, something
like:

 [chuck](VM): status (now == 0h:2m:34s) ...
   [shred id]: 1  [source]: foo.ck  [sporked]: 21.43s ago
   [shred id]: 2  [source]: bar.ck  [sporked]: 28.37s ago

(From: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/program/otfp.html)

I am doing something similar in Perl, so perhaps I can help you out.
You can have your python script run this command on the shell (what OS
are you running?) and grab the results (shred id, filename, etc) within
that script. In Perl, it is done with the following code:

@cmd_output = `chuck ^`;

Then you can parse out the id number and run the following commands
from the script to:

Remove a shred ID:

%> chuck - $shred_id

_or_

Add:

%> chuck + $shred_id

_or_

Replace:

%> chuck = $shred_id

In Perl, assuming the above status output, the whole thing would look
something like:

# Get output from the chuck status command
@cmd_output = `chuck ^`;

# Parse IDs into shred_ids array
@shred_ids = grep { /shred id\]:\s(\d+)\s/; $_ = $1 } @cmd_output;

# Remove shred ID 1 (which is in the first array element) from the VM
`chuck - $shred_ids[0]`;

I hope this helps!

-Dan

>>> x at branwelt.de 04/07/06 6:24 AM >>>

Hello

I want to write a python program, that
adds and removes (sporks) chuck-shreds to/from the chuck VM

How to retrieve the shred-id ?
What would be the best way to do so?

Thanks,
Emanuel