[chuck-users] Windows XP - setting chuck.exe to "realtime" priority

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Apr 20 18:32:09 EDT 2006

Hi All,

>> I was running the stk/clarinet.ck example. No soundfiles involved at
>> all. It was usually only in creating and destroying shreds that there
>> was a problem. Actually, now that I think about it, glitching also
>> occurred when I would change focus to another program and carry out
>> some action, i.e. scrolling through the chuck manual in Adobe Reader.
>> This is on an Intel with Pentium M, running Windows XP Pro with SP2.
>
> Same thing here with the PDF file, and I also noticed it when
> switching to programs like Firefox or N.

Interesting that it seems likely to occur on fast machines running XP SP2,
but not not on a PIII.  I was also able to reproduce the same type of
glitches changing windows on my XP SP2 Pentium M 1GB RAM laptop.

So, XP users, let's try this - run chuck with the --level10 flag, which
should internally boost chuck's priority:

     > chuck --level10 foo.ck ...

For me this got rid of the glitches.  If this works in genereal, we can
make this a default.  Also feel free to try other values.

Let us know!

Best,
Ge!