[chuck-users] arrays holding arrays?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:54:37 EDT 2006

Hi list,

I have a slight issue. I'd like to have a array in which every object itself
is a array. Particularly I'd like to have one of 8 locations each of which
holds a array of length 32.

I tried this;

int[32] memory[8];

And the miniaudicle immediately complains. I know the manual doesn't
explicidly say arrays can hold arrays but it didn't explicidly say functions
can return arrays either so I thought I'd try anyway (and frankly I feel
this should simply be possible). Theoretically speaking I could get by with
a 2d array but I'd realy like to be able to go;

if(some event dealing with storing patern memories)
{
patern @=> memory[4];
}

if(some event dealing with recaling patern memories)
{
memory[3] @=> patern;
}

How to go about this? In the interest of staying readable and compact I'd
much prefer no to have to loop over a 2d arrays row in order to copie values
one by one. Should I use the asociative array features? Am I missing some
syntax bit? Are there reasons not to store arrays in arrays?