[chuck-users] towards sucking less in 64-bit

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Thu Aug 10 18:41:09 EDT 2006

On Wed, 09 Aug, 2006 at 09:28PM -0400, Ge Wang spake thus:
> Hi!
>
> We want to, once again, look into getting chuck working correctly in
> true 64-bit.  To that end, if you have a 64-bit machine that chuck
> crashes (more than usual) on, please consider compiling the attached
> program, which prints the native data type sizes for your system, and
> email/post the output.  This will give us a rough idea of the various
> size discrepancies that are most likely causing things to crash
> horribly under native 64-bit.
>
> To compile:
>
>     g++ -o platform platform.cpp

I had to add -lstdc++ to this to make it work.  If anyone else has
problems, try that.

> To run:
>
>     ./platform
>
> You should see something like:
>
>     char: 1
>     short: 2
>     int: 4
>     long: 8
>     float: 4
>     double: 8
>     void *: 8
>     endian: small

Here's what I get:

char: 1
short: 2
int: 4
long: 8
float: 4
double: 8
void *: 8
endian: small

Which isn't a surprise.  My processor is an AMD64 sandiego.  My OS is
gentoo with a 2.6.17 kernel.  Here's /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 55
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2200.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext
fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4425.48
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

Hope that helps.  I'd love to get back to chuck.  I'd only just
started using it when my last machine died.  I was a bit disappointed
when I found I couldn't play any more with my new machine.

James