[chuck-users] Is this possible?

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:59:41 EST 2006

Hello all,

As ChucK is intended to be an "on the fly" tool for sound generation,
I was wondering if it would be possible if the compiler could detect
infinite loops that DO NOT advance time. I am thinking about this more
from a practical stand point that when some new code is being added to
ChucK, if a loop is entered that does not advance time, nor yeild
control to another thread, it will SEIZE the machine, with the only
recourse is rebooting.

While this is practical, I know that it would be one of those feature
requests that would be low priority. I only make the recommendation
because over the weekend, I was playing with ChucK and ran accross
this very problem. I would think that in performance, it would not
really be practical to have to reboot. At the same time, I wonder how
many performances would rely on entering raw code, instead of loading
files.

Thanks,

Mike