[chuck-users] Is this possible?

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Feb 13 14:41:05 EST 2006

Perry, I, and others have thought about alternatives for alleviating
this chuckian "non-halting" problem where infinite loops that do not
advance time can "seizes" the machine on some platforms, due to the
priority boost on the audio.  One thing we have going for us is that we
don't need necessarily need to detect infinite loops, we just need to
determine (at runtime) when some shred has been executing for "way
too long", in which case a counter-measure can be activated (such as
lower the priority and allow the operating system to breathe).  A
watch-dog mechanism for monitoring audio underflow and adaptively
changing the priority may be a reliable way to address this.

This is pretty important and is high priority on the TODO list.

Best,
Ge!