[chuck-users] synchronizing multible chucks

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 7 18:31:43 EDT 2006

Hi Atte!

> Suppose I have two machines each running it's own chuck. Is it possible
> (and if so, how?) to synchronize the two, for instance having them play
> a bleep at exactly the same time?

It's certainly possible to synchronize them, though currently they
won't have
the same sample-synchronous precision.  However, it is quite possible to
synchronize them to very low latency (not perceptible).  One way to do
this
is via OSC.  This is how we synchronize a good deal of things across the
15 machines in PLOrk:

     http://plork.cs.princeton.edu/video/nonspecific.mov

Here is the section in the language specification on Event, including
OSC:

     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/language/event.html

example sender:

     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/osc/s.ck

example receiver:

     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/osc/r.ck

These examples are rigged to work on localhost, but it is easy to
change the target host in s.ck.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Ge!