[chuck-users] machine.add issue

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 11 01:03:35 EDT 2006

> Please, please, please use one of the sensible lisp-like garbage
> collection schemes rather than pure reference counting.

As with other parts of the implementation, we are open to
experimentation.  There is a multitude of gc algorithms to
choose from (what fun).

Our general approach is

     1. make it work
     2. make it right
     3. make it fast (and robust for real-time)
     4. make it small

We plan to try a few approaches, including some flavor of reference
counting (with cycle-detection) and eventually explore more advanced
options such as incremental and generational gc.  We may even provide
a command line flag to choose the gc scheme (similar to recent Java
hotspot vm's).

Will keep our list updated and we may see a rc or two...

Thanks!

Princeton Waste Management Office