[chuck-users] ChucK and STDIN

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 12 16:58:01 EDT 2006

Greetings!

stdin (and file i/o in general) is on the way.

Right now, there are a few hacked/experimental objects we've use
internally:

The Skot object: a event-based stdin reader
The PRC object: string tokenizer

They are not in the standard build - you'd have to enable them by adding a
compiler flag: -DAJAY.  Which platform are you using?  We can post an
executable with these compiled in, if you like.

They will allow one to write code like:

     Skot skot;

     // infinite event loop
     while( true )
     {
         // prompt and wait
         skot.prompt("enter data:") => now;
         // get the results
         while( skot.more() )
         {
             <<< skot.getLine() >>>;

and you can use PRC to tokenize the text.

The actual stdin and file I/O is definitely on the way (thanks to Martin
Robinson), we just haven't integrated/fully tested it yet.

> Where can I look at the actual code that makes up the KBHit event? Is it
> written in C or in ChucK? I'd like to see what that class is actually
> doing (behind the scenes) to watch for the keyboard being pressed.

The KBHit class is implemented in C/C++, in ulib_std.cpp.

> I'm thinking that OSC may be the best way to get around this- but I'm
> not sure. Are there any good intro docs/examples for using OSC (besides,
> the docs on OSC's homepage)?

You probably already found these:

     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/language/event.html#osc
     http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/osc/s.ck