[chuck-users] Question about OSC and Network Connections

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 08:47:22 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I was in the process of testing some code that I have that is using
OSC, and in these tests, I got an error from ChucK saying that a port
was busy and it could not connect. This was because I had another
process running (dumpOSC from the OSC site) on that port. This seems
normal in that ChucK complained about this. My trouble is that once I
stopped the dumpOSC process, ChucK still would not connect to that
port AND it didn't give any warnings or error messages saying that it
would not connect. The only way that I was able to connect was to
restart ChucK. I am not quite positive if just restarting the Compiler
(using miniAudicle [latest]) would have been enough, as I restarted
the whole program. Once I did this, my code worked fine.

Is there a way that ChucK could be made to NOT fail when these things
happen? It seems to me that this would be in line with the "on the
fly" concept. I would think that ChucK should be able to detect, at
any time, if a port was in use or not, and return the appropriate
error message, or connect if it is unused.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)