[chuck-users] instruments extending StkInstrument

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:23:35 EDT 2006

Hi

I'm still quite new to chuck, but after going through the "Notes on
Chuck for music" tutorial it struck me that a nice way to (over time)
build a library of instruments that work in an interchangeable way would
be to extend the StkInstrument. Instruments build this way should work
like the StifKarp instrument used in the tutorial. I realize that this
in some/most cases comes of fine grain control of the sound, but
thinking about it that's the way I prefer thinking about instruments;
encapsulated sound generating units. For instance I have over time build
a library of over 100 midi-controlled realtime csound instruments that I
use all the time.

It this a recommended way of making instruments? Any documentation or
examples on how to do this? How much slower would a userspace
implementaion be compared to the buildin instruments? Would it be
possible that such user defined instruments could make it into the
language itself, and how much is involved in converting a userspace
instrument into a build-in instrument?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte