[chuck-users] keeping stereo files as stereo

eduard aylon eduard.aylon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:53:04 EDT 2006

Hello there,

When loading a stereo audio file either via sndbuf or WvIn the audio
is downmixed to mono automatically, is that right?
If not,
is there a way of accessing left/right channels from audio files?
is there a way of reading stereo files while keeping them stereo and
writing them back as stereo files?

The following code will write a mono file in out.wav regardless the
input file is stereo or mono:

WvIn audio_in => WvOut audio_out => blackhole;
audio_in.path( "stereo_file.wav");
audio_out.wavFilename("out.wav");
10::second => now

My second question is on regards to being able to process audio
faster than realtime just for audio processing tasks and when no
"audible" output is needed. Is it possible or will it be possible in
the future?
An example will probably be more explanatory.
Let's say that you want to remove DC-offset from an audio file, but
you just want to process the audio file and there's no need to
listening realtime audio. If such audio file is 3 min long, one must
wait 3 min in order to finish processing. Chuck has a strong sense of
time, but if there are no connections to dac could a "time_less unit
of time" be created in order to speed up?

My apologies if these issues have been discussed earlier on the list.

Thanks,

eduard