[chuck-users] --bufsize and latency

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jun 27 18:05:42 EDT 2006

Hi Atte!

>> Across the various systems, buffer size of 128 (srate 44100) can
>> translate to somewhere between 10-50ms of audio latency, I reckon.
>
> Ok. But can't anything be said about a chuck-only latency?

I actually meant the earlier estimate to pertain solely to chuck
(though it probably applies to other audio applications too).  Running
chuck across quite a few machines lately (plork powerbooks, windows
machines, and sometimes linux), latency has seemed consistently
inconsistent depending on the system.

> If it makes it easier to answer, I'm running chuck under debian/linux
> with realtime patched kernel (alsa only, no oss, no jack) and either a
> crappy (=noise) onboard i810 or edirol ua-1a usb soundcard. My computer
> is a P4 2.4G laptop with 512Mb RAM.

It's hard to say (at least for me) - much depends on your sound card's
latency.  ALSA, as far as I know, affords low latency.  Which latency
are you concerned with?  external MIDI/OSC events or audio I/O latency?
  or something else?  Sorry I can't provide a more precise answer.
Perhaps others here can?

Best,
Ge!