[chuck-users] improving the emacs mode

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 04:51:03 EDT 2006

Hi

I'm very fond of the (recent) emacs mode. But I think a few improvements
could/should be made:

1) On http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucK/Dev/Tools the recent
mode is pasted into the wiki. I had trouble downloading (or rather
copying/pasting) it and getting it to work. A link to an external
download would be better. Maybe it could even be part of the chuck
download...

2) Indention could/should be improved:
a) Loading a chuck file messes up the indention, even if the indention
was made by the mode itself.
b) Some valid placements of brackets are not handled correctly by the
mode, for instance:
while(true){
     if(true){
	// always
     } else {
     // never
c) Indention of comments are a bit strange. If I put "//" at the very
beginning of an intented line, the mode will indent the "//"s the the
correct place. Maybe it would be better to simply disregard commented
out lines when doing indention.

3) Comment-region and Uncomment-region doesn't work. It seems its only a
matter of defining a comment character...

4) Syntax highlighting highlights special words if they're used in a
variable with underscore. Example: "my_spork_function".

I'd be happy to correct some of this myself, but my lisp skills are
practically non-existing. I googled for something helpful to get started
with elisp, but failed to find anything. If anyone has links to
information about making (or hacking) emacs-modes, especially something
that would help me address the above mentioned issues, I'd be delighted.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quartet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk