[chuck-users] ++ return value

nitro2k01 nitro2k01 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 08:19:52 EDT 2006

The advantage of using the ++ and -- operators is that you can change
the value of one variable and then further use it in an expression.
Consider this:
++i +=> x;
This command will increment i, then take the incremented value and add
to x. In many situations, the ++/-- operators lets you write compact
yet readable code. Consider these C statements:
Statement 1:
i=i+1;  x=x+i;
Statement 2:
i=i+1;  x+=i;
Statement 3:
x+=(i=i+1);
Statement 4:
x+= ++i;

They all do the exact same thing, but at least in my experienced eyes,
I know which one reveals most clearly what is going on.

                                                             /nitro2k01

On 6/28/06, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Ge!
>
> > The ++ and -- (post and pre) are a bit fishy right now.  We plan to fix
> > this.
> > In the meantime, it safest to NOT used them inline with expressions.
>
> I wondered about those.
>
> Why would you use those instead of "+=>" or "-=>"? I don't realy see
> why we need those at all, personally I avoid them beause to me using
> the ChucK operator feels more consistend.
>
> Sorry if I'm missing something; clearly this is another thing borowed
> from C which I don't speak but I'd still like to know WHY we borowed
> it.
>
> Kas.

-----BEGIN 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
The blog  of nitro2k01: <http://soundandcomplete.wordpress.com/>
Sätt på ett par flipflops, vippa på rumpan
och gör det här till en minnesvärd sommar!
-----END 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----