[chuck-users] ADSR modulation question

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 14:22:39 EDT 2006

Atte,

You have some good points, we'll see what Ge thinks but when you write this;

> If it input a DC of say 1 (could be hacked with a slooow sqr)...

I think you should realy look up the "step" ugen. Step is like the
mirror image of "My_ugen.last()" and very usefull if you are batteling
with the sort of thing you are currently running into.

>From the top of my head "step" has two important members called
".value" and ".next" which sorta kinda do the same thing except that I
meant to tell Ge that he should have a look at ".value" because I
think that one has called in sick a while ago and hasn't yet returned
to work. I think it's in the documentation but the VM goes all "what
are you talking about?" on me with that one.

Anyway, "step" is good. For audio rate multiplications  using multiple
instances of step combined with gains set to multiply will outperform
doing it manually by a factor of 3 or so in my experience (at the
expense of hard to read code).

I would be in favour of explaining how step and .last link the
controll stuff to the "patching" style stuff in a seperate manual
section because for me understanding that was a big moment in seeing
how ChucK related to Serge modulars (Serge only has banana plugs,
Buchla uses seperate plugs for controll and audio).