[chuck-users] running chuck as a process with no terminal?

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Nov 14 02:50:08 EST 2006

Hi Enrike,

On Nov 13, 2006, at 7:23 PM, altern wrote:

> hi
>
> i am launching chuck from python (i have a python GUI and chuck
> works as
> sound engine). When I run chuck from python it opens a terminal, I
> would
> like to hide this. I use python os.spawnv command for this.
>
> In PD there is a startup flag -nogui that launches pd as a process
> with
> no console whatsoever, only visible via top or process list. Anything
> like that in ChucK? i have checked the documentation for the virtual
> machine but i could not see anything in this direction.

You might try using os.popen; I don't really know Python but looking
through the docs that function seems geared for use with console
apps, so it might work better for your purposes.

ChucK doesn't have a -nogui flag, because it doesn't really have
control over its gui; it just gets the default command line gui on
win32 because its compiled as a console app.

> Another important issue i am having is that as soon as the chuck
> terminal loses the focus the sound stops. So when I select the python
> window the sound stops. Is there any way to avoid this?

Yikes, I have come across this as well.  Does this happen when
switching to any window, or just your python window?

Past recommended solutions have been to increase the audio buffer
size with --bufsize1024 or --bufsize2048, but on my XP SP2 system
those don't even produce audio... so I can't vouch for those.

> I am working on xp at the moment, so i havent tested if this
> happens as
> well on linux or osx.

I would expect you to have much better success on either of those
platforms...

> I have very limited access to internet for a few days so i cannot
> search
> on the mailing list archive or the forum about this issue. Sorry.

No worries!  Hope this helps...

spencer