[chuck-users] running chuck as a process with no terminal?

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 03:09:21 EST 2006

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> altern wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> joerg piringer wrote:
>>
>>> yes, i use wxExecute (the c++ version).
>>> you can also capture the output with it but i don't know how this works
>>> in wxPython. sometimes the two APIs are quite different.
>>>
>> yes it does work fine with wxpython, i tested it briefly today.
>>

>>> i think there are examples of wxPython and opengl if you download the
>>> wxPython-Demo & examples. i've only tried pygame/SDL & wxPython which
>>> works fine.
>>>
>> Yes i know about those examples but i want something more complex which
>> involves using sizers and grids and there it gets more confusing.
>>

>>> your project sound interesting so far. what do you try to achieve? just
>>> being curios...
>>>
>> ok here you are some info : I am working in two levels, on the one hand
>> i am part of this project to develop experimental interfaces for music .
>> www.ixi-software.net
>> as a part of that we have been developing over the last couple of years
>> a python graphic toolkit to create our applications, this is the result
>> so far http://www.ixi-software.net/mirra
>> It uses pygame by default but in a second step of the development I want
>> to be able to have a opengl canvas in a specific area of the application
>> and have normal wxpython GUI elements such as buttons, menus, drag and
>> drop etc... This is where i am now.
>>

> Hey.
> I've done a similar thing. Except it runs on top of SDL and it is also 3D:
>
> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/sw/devachan
>
> Give it a try. It could be modified to draw on a wxwidget with very
> minimal effort. Unfortunately the MacOsX support is still a bit
> incomplete. It works but it is a poor hack.

interesting. i am downloading it now.

> By the way, now I'm working again in python. I'm realizing a 2d library
> to make some audio applications (even to interact with chuck, of course)
> using the pygtk library and cairo for the drawings.

even more interesting... any links?

> My advice, if you don't need 3d is to avoid opengl and try something
> like cairo, which is more suited for this purpose. You'll get better
> support for fonts and such and it is more stable than opengl especially
> when you're using it as an interface to make music in realtime.

I thought about this few months ago for a while, didnt do any tests. I
think I didnt go very far because on mac you need to compile yourself
the pycairo library. If I want this to be used by students I cannot
really ask them to compile stuff. At most run an installer.
But, what about performance and CPU usage? is it similar to opengl? what
about running on different platforms?

enrike