[chuck-users] running chuck as a process with no terminal?

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Nov 15 21:53:27 EST 2006

altern wrote:
> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> altern wrote:
>>
>>> hi

>>> yes it does work fine with wxpython, i tested it briefly today.

>>> Yes i know about those examples but i want something more complex which
>>> involves using sizers and grids and there it gets more confusing.

>>> ok here you are some info : I am working in two levels, on the one hand
>>> i am part of this project to develop experimental interfaces for music .
>>> www.ixi-software.net
>>> as a part of that we have been developing over the last couple of years
>>> a python graphic toolkit to create our applications, this is the result
>>> so far http://www.ixi-software.net/mirra
>>> It uses pygame by default but in a second step of the development I want
>>> to be able to have a opengl canvas in a specific area of the application
>>> and have normal wxpython GUI elements such as buttons, menus, drag and
>>> drop etc... This is where i am now.
>>>

>> Hey.
>> I've done a similar thing. Except it runs on top of SDL and it is also 3D:
>>
>> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/sw/devachan
>>
>> Give it a try. It could be modified to draw on a wxwidget with very
>> minimal effort. Unfortunately the MacOsX support is still a bit
>> incomplete. It works but it is a poor hack.
>>

> interesting. i am downloading it now.
>

>> By the way, now I'm working again in python. I'm realizing a 2d library
>> to make some audio applications (even to interact with chuck, of course)
>> using the pygtk library and cairo for the drawings.
>>

> even more interesting... any links?

Some screenshots will be available soon. Same for app. But truth is I'm
still uncertain about where to go. At the moment I'm concentrating on
creating a reusable gui for pure data like apps. I love the metaphor of
connecting elements.

I plan to talk with chuck via OSC. Nothing exciting. But, as I said, I'm
doing lot on the gui side.

By the way. I already knew about ixi-software. IIRC I also used some of
the apps in the past years. Inspiring stuff.

>> My advice, if you don't need 3d is to avoid opengl and try something
>> like cairo, which is more suited for this purpose. You'll get better
>> support for fonts and such and it is more stable than opengl especially
>> when you're using it as an interface to make music in realtime.
>>

> I thought about this few months ago for a while, didnt do any tests. I
> think I didnt go very far because on mac you need to compile yourself
> the pycairo library. If I want this to be used by students I cannot
> really ask them to compile stuff. At most run an installer.
> But, what about performance and CPU usage? is it similar to opengl? what
> about running on different platforms?
>
> enrike

Pygtk can be installed on Linux (of course :-) ), MacOsX and Windows.
Same for Cairo. Keep in mind that a Cairo context can be rendered in
opengl as well.

I have heard that wxwidget will be included in MacOSX Leopard, but
having experimented with both (wxwidget in c++ and gtk in c) I've found
that gtk is cleaner and nicer. At least on Linux.

Let's keep in touch.

c.