[chuck-users] heads up for 1.2.0.7

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:12:23 EDT 2006

On 9/10/06, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:

> That would be nice, if asking for trouble; I think the VST standard isn't as
> standardised as one would like standards to be. For one thing we would need
> a way of getting a VST to report on it's parameters. This would also break
> the cross-platform nature of ChucK code. I imagine there would also be
> questions about some malfunction with plugin X where X costs 500 bucks and
> would be unavailable to the developers...

> With a MIDI loopback driver and a straditional VST/AU/LADSPA/My_format host
> much of the same could be acomplished.
>
> Just my thoughts...
>
> Kas.

Hi Kas,
Two thoughts:

1. I'm interested in sending ChucK's audio output into VST's, so MIDI
would not be a solution. MIDI would only work if ChucK wasn't
generating any audio, but what I want to do is be able to process some
of the things that I'm already generating in ChucK.

2. Relying on MIDI means that one loses a great deal of resolution as
far as parameters go, being stuck with 0-127. Furthermore, not every
host makes it easy to address a particular parameter of a plugin
through MIDI.

I guess, a good solution would be if ChucK could be extended with a
"Plugin" UGen, that would support both LAPSDA and VST (and maybe the
Mac format too), thereby allowing it to be crossplatform. Of course, I
have no idea how difficult this sort of thing is.

It's true, as far as the DestroyFX stuff, someone could probably build
similar things using the buffer UGen. Though to get that
functionality, I guess we need to create user defined UGen's?!

~David